Guild Wars 2 Daily Achievements Guide by Charlatan
If you’ve logged onto GW2 and only have a little time to play, I think one of your best uses of time is to work through your daily achievements.
Why do you want to do this?
1. It’s easy
2. It’s pretty fast
3. You get a nice reward, a chunk of xp, and a little coin
4. Achievements! You get achievement points, which you can use for…. uh…. you can…. uh… they’re pretty!
You can (and probably will) complete your daily achievement automatically just by playing, that’s how easy it is! But it’s worth it to ensure you complete your achievement. So before you log off, check your achievement and see if you can easily complete it – the rewards are worth it!
How do you do this?
1. Open your hero panel by hitting H. Then click on the achievement icon on the left. You should see your current Daily Achievement status:
There’s 4 components to the daily achievement: number of kills, kill variety, raw material gathering, and events. As you see, in the area labeled 1, you need 10 kills, which will award you with 1 achievement point (the little 1 with the achievement point symbol to the right of the 0/10 kills bar). The part labeled 2 indicates you need to kill 5 different types of enemies – so for instance a boar, a grub, a mosquito, and so forth. Each different type of creature you kill counts just once for the kill variety. Section 3 says you must gather 3 items, and section 4 says you need to participate in one event.
As you go through playing the game, your bars will start to fill up. See the little gray 1’s at the end of each category? That’s the rank of the achievement you’re working toward. As you fill up a category (say you kill 10 mobs) you will get 1 achievement point and will complete rank 1 of the kill quantity achievement. Completing rank 1 will open up rank 2. Completing 2 opens up rank 3 and completing 3 (when applicable) opens up rank 4. Each further rank simply requires you to perform more of that activity.
Here’s a picture of the daily achievement underway. Note that the kill quantity is still on rank 1: I’ve only killed 7 of the required 10 mobs. However, the kill variety section (number 2) is on rank 2: I killed 5 different types of mobs for rank 1 (see the previous pic) and the display has moved on to the next rank: kill 8 different types of mobs.
As you continue killing mobs, gathering materials, and participating in events, eventually you will complete a category. Here’s a picture of the achievement panel after I’ve gathered all required items for the gathering portion. See how it says “Completed” off to the right? That’s how you know that portion is done.
The final numbers you need are:
15 different types of mobs
Once you complete all the sections, you’ll get an achievement and a chest will pop up on the right side your screen just above the minimap: you don’t need to grab anything, it just shows up and it’s yours! Click the chest icon on the right side of the screen and it’ll open and give you some fabulous rewards!
In this case I got some silver, some xp, and a Mystic Coin (which is used in the Mystic Forge – these are valuable, so hang on to them). Other rewards you may get will include transmutation stones, remote bank access NPCs, repair golems, vendors, or remote Trading Post pick up merchants.
So here’s some tips for completing your daily:
1. You know those little white non-combat mobs you see around: frogs, sparkflies, whatever: these DO count for both variety and for the kill count. So don’t be afraid to kill those harmless creatures as you run by them!
2. Chopping down trees and Mining ore both contribute more than gathering plants, since you receive 3 gathers of wood/ore for those nodes. So chopping or mining are more “efficient” than just grabbing a plant.
3. The only types of events that count for the event portion are dynamic events: hearts don’t count, nor do skill challenges. There is no memory of the events you’ve done so if you complete the same event more than once, you receive credit for it each time you complete it. Events have to complete for you to receive credit for them. If you hit a few mobs for an event and run off, and the event completes later, you receive credit. However, if you help with an escort quest, and later on the escort NPC gets conked out and needs to be revived, you will not receive any credit. I believe events have to succeed for you to get credit.
4. Daily achievement tallying resets at 8 PM Eastern (5 PM Pacific) which can be in the middle of when you’re playing, so plan accordingly!
5. Note that this achievement is account-wide: which means each day you can only do this for one character each day. No more of this having to log on your Ranger, do the daily, log on your Warrior, do the daily, log on your Necro, do the daily… and so forth. Just do it once!
That is all!
Hope that this will help you guys with busy schedule.